California Department of Real Estate (DRE)
The California Department of Real Estate (DRE) publishes explicit specifications online for meeting continuing education requirements prior to license renewal.
Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons must renew their licenses every four years. Newly licensed salespersons must meet their 18-month requirement and complete 12 hours of State Approved courses to renew their original license. Newly licensed Real Estate Brokers require 45 hours of State Approved continuing education, to renew their original license. For 2nd and subsequent renewals, Real Estate Salespersons and Brokers are required to complete 45 hours of State Approved continuing education.
Proof of Legal Presence (PLP)
Effective August 1, 1998, all real estate salesperson, broker, officer, oil and gas broker licensees, must submit proof that they have legal presence in the United State before a renewal license can be issued.
Licenses that are not renewed prior to their expiration may be renewed within two years after the expiration date providing the licensee meets the continuing education requirements and pays a late renewal fee.
Continuing Education Exemption
Continuing education exemptions apply for the following:
- Any real estate licensee who submits proof satisfactory to the commissioner that he or she has been a real estate licensee in good standing for 30 continuous years in this state and is 70 years of age or older.
- A licensee in good standing is one who holds an active license, which has not been suspended, revoked, or restricted as a result of disciplinary action.
Questions about your real estate license, license requirements, continuing education requirements, or any applications that you have submitted, please contact the DRE's Licensing Information in one of the following ways:
- By Telephone: (916) 227-0931
- By Fax: (916) 227-0925
- By Mail:
- For Salesperson Inquiries: PO Box 187003, Sacramento, CA 95818-7003
- For Broker/Corporation Inquiries: PO Box 187004, Sacramento, CA 95818-7004
- Visit the DRE's website at http://www.dre.ca.gov
Courses available from CE Network have been approved by the DRE. CE Network's DRE Sponsor Number is 4059. Continuing education credits are only available through successful completion of DRE-approved courses.
CE Network provides the best in online continuing education course and credit package solutions for first and subsequent license renewal requirements that meet your needs.
See our online catalog of offerings, or call 1-866-444-1123 now to find out more.